Thursday, November 18, 2010

Speed

10 weeks, sitting on mum in bed
7 days, laying on mum at grandads

Eating your foot, 34 weeks

My girl,

you are more than just '10 weeks old';
you are beautiful,
you are funny,
you are asleep,
you are strong,
you are clever,
you are cuddly,
you are extremely easy to love,
you are 'going to be a handful'- good thing I have two hands then!

You are dramatic. You stick your bottom lip out and say "WAH" and look at me, when you're frustrated. When you sneeze, you roll your eyes. When you cough, it's an 'excuse me while I choke/ahem, ahem' type cough. When I let you cry sometimes, I give in and cuddle you, and you do what I do- you stop crying but you struggle to catch your breath. I don't know if any other babies do that but I find it a bit surreal how similar we are.

You have a new fascination with a portrait of me (when I was little) that is on the wall. I am tempted to put it on your ceiling. You smile at it. You don't smile at anyone unless they are smiling at you or talking to you, yet you smile at a watercolour painting of an 8 year old version of your mother. You also have been in love with a certain corner of our lounge, where the family photos are. Your great Nana (who you are named after, and who has passed) is in a photo there, I love that photo and clearly so do you.

I can't help but laugh when your bottom makes magnificent noises. I don't really care if no one else finds it funny; I am determined to raise you in such a way that you don't take life too seriously. I won't ever let 'that thing' happen to you; when you look back and say you wish you'd smiled more, laughed more, cried more. I will encourage you to feel everything and say what you feel. I will encourage finger painting and (secret) nose picking.

Your baby books are filling up so fast, baby girl. The strange thing is that you are 'only 10 weeks', you are only in 'infant' nappies, your clothes are 0-3months, your feet are XS and OSFA- doesn't fit you, but you are so grown up already.

I wrote you promises when I first saw you on the TV on the wall, in black and white, when you were Peach.

*I promise to hold you, but not hold on to you.
*I promise to see things from your eyes, before mine.
*I promise to put you first in all situations.
*I promise to give you a voice when you can't speak.
*I promise to teach you values and to let you live by your own, not mine, unless you believe in them too.
*I promise to love you unconditionally.
*I promise to respect you and listen to you, always.
*I promise to laugh with you, cry with you and learn with you.
*I promise to stay strong for you and be the best role model.
*I promise to stand up for you if no one else will.
*I promise to be here for you whenever you need me. I will lead until I need to follow.

I love you Addi, you are so beautiful; you are so everything.