Sunday, December 18, 2011

Way too fast..


As much as I love my dad; sometimes I realise just how different we are. In so many ways. And then other days I realise how similar we are- but that's another story.

Today I read one of Kandee Johnson's blogpost's* about how fast her children are growing up; I listened to this song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-PDKNu71I and I have listened to it non stop for about 5 hours now.

Her post hit home for me- literally- because I am not the cleanest mum on the block. I let my laundry sit. I wash, dry, fold and stack- but I never put it away.

I am a bit crap with dishes... Rarely do they go in their place straight after they have been washed. To be honest, some knives are even developing tiny rust dots on them. (Woops).

I vacuum when I need to, which is not every day.

The bed is never made properly and in reality who can get comfortable without cocooning?...

Everytime dad comes over he picks up on something that needs to be cleaned, bless him. But over the past 15 months I have noticed that if I leave that plate there; I can read to Addi instead. If I chuck my washing in my room, we can go for a walk. If I spend 2 hours on dinner- it doesn't mean she will eat it or enjoy it any more than freakin' scrambled eggs.

I get stressed when people criticise my parenting- which is a rare thing- but it happens. I sometimes feel like asking them if it was their downstairs Addi exited... Nevertheless, I don't- because it was mine and we all know that, especially me ;)

There are so many 'small' things that DON'T NEED TO BE STRESSED ABOUT. I look back over my 20 years- the things that got my stomach into a ball of concrete, wouldn't phase me one bit now. But back then, having a teacher on your case about something so small... It was scary... Coming home 10 minutes late was enough to make me lose everything in my tummy, in the gutter. I don't know what I was so afraid of. Confrontation has never been a strong point of mine... But I think I was afraid of being kicked to the curb perhaps. Left alone. Cold... Who knows.

Now, though. I feel safe. I feel I have only one thing to lose and there is no way I can. I keep her clothed, fed, warm, happy- I am doing nothing wrong. I can't **** this up. Not in a "oh god I can't screw this up, please don't let me screw it up", but a "easy peasy- she is my favourite thing ever, and I feel everything from her point of view... So I will never not look after her properly"...

No one can take her away from me and it is the best feeling. I have never been so content... boys come and go, as do 'friends'- but she will always be my baby. I will forever love the smell of her neck in the mornings (a mix of her monkey she sleeps with, and her shampoo, and clean clothes), the uncut fingernails (want to try? be my guest), her 'general purpose' face she pulls in photos and random times in public...

What I'm trying to get at (man I ramble)... is that even though she will always be *my* baby; if I spend her childhood mopping my floor and putting dishes away STRAIGHT AWAY, she will be my age the next time I turn around.

There are so many things to do in a day- it's just all about priorities. It CAN all be done...!

On to Addi though; she is now 15 months old!! She has enough hair to put into a wee fountain on top of her head and she wears shoes... SHOES! Size 5 to be exact. She is either smiling or concentrating. Reading or talking 'on the phone*'. Eating or laughing... She is perfect.

I'm not bias(I am though) nor am I a 'meanie' for saying this but- if I see other children her age out and about, I feel so so so blessed not to have them LOL. She is always happy and even if she isn't, it's manageable. Some other littlies I have seen (more than once... more than twice) are always whiney and unhappy- and it grates me a little that they aren't content... ever.

But again, another story.

This blog post was mostly about how time goes way too fast and if you're busy putting dishes away, you will miss something. Wait till they're asleep!!



*http://kandeelandkandeeland.blogspot.com/2011/12/yesterdays-are-piling-up-too-fast.html she is a beautiful, amazing, caring, super-sweet woman and mum!
*phone= anything.